Wednesday, August 26, 2009

subway love haiku

underground we part
on platforms made for these times
when love shudders, dies.


As a young woman who came of age in New York City and on New York City trains, many of my most spiritual, most romantic, most heartbreaking, and most formative moments have taken place underground. The subways offer such a rich cross-section of people; the conversations and encounters in their cars range from uplifting to terrifying to lasting. I wrote this haiku on the platform of the Q train at a station in Manhattan after I could not bring myself to make amends with someone I love. I just got on the train and let the tracks put even greater distance between us.

Perhaps you have felt something similar? Perhaps you write haikus? Haikus are great.

1 comment:

  1. What a poignant haiku and eloquent description of how the underground is a large part of New Yorkers' lives. I agree! I especially like that platforms are MADE for these times and that love can shudder before dying.

    ReplyDelete

*copyright

don't steal words! don't steal images! if you want to borrow something, ask.