Thursday, April 8, 2010

love's philosophy





Nothing calls for a love poem quite like spring! Here's one by Percy Bysshe Shelley. The photographs above were taken by yours truly last year in Fort Greene Park

LOVE'S PHILOSOPHY
by P.B. Shelley 

The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the ocean,
The winds of Heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single,
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle - 
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss high Heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea - 
What are all these kissings worth
If thou kiss not me?


As far as the Romantics go, Keats has always been my favorite, but Shelley ain't bad here. Not bad at all! 

Although I studied Shelley in college, I did not discover this poem until years later in the wrapper of a chocolate bar. Needless to say, I fell in love with this poem instantly. 

I am not so crazy about the line, "No sister-flower would be forgiven/If it disdained its brother" for the clearly antiquated anti-feminist message it conveys (Ain't nothing romantic about the absence of consent!). However, overall, the poem is beautiful and its images do speak to the harmony and union possible in love and physicality. 

Just look at the use of the word "clasp"! The waves clasp one another! The sunlight clasps the earth! Oh! Love it!

And then there is the final couplet! Who could ever forget these lines? "What are all these kissings worth/If thou kiss not me?"

The poem seems especially appropriate for springtime. The pear tree blossoms outside my window are kissing each other! The sunlight clasps the pavement! The bus kisses the curb and nearly runs us over! I will be walking around Brooklyn, identifying all the things that are kissing and clasping each other all season long. 

4 comments:

  1. LOL, you had me cracking up here Naima. Please keep up the good work. not bad, not bad at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, lady! It's so lovely to have comments on the blog. It makes me believe the posts are being read far more than the little Statcounter thing I have going. I don't believe it! But your words, I believe.

    Thank you for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Naima, you have the best posts. I love the pictures you took in Fort Greene! Super cool! And yes, sometimes the poems in the chocolate bars suck, but this one, happily, doesn't. :) Love.

    ReplyDelete

*copyright

don't steal words! don't steal images! if you want to borrow something, ask.