Thursday, October 29, 2009

halloween macaroni


The picture you see above is not your standard mac and cheese. It is Harvest Moon Macaroni a la Rachael Ray. It contains squash, parmasean cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, milk, vegetable stock, nutmeg, garlic, parsley, paprika, and onions. And hot sauce!

It was supposed to be a 30 minute meal, but it took me over an hour to make. Just grating all that cheese took a while. It is pretty though, isn't it? It was fun to cook using a recipe. It made me feel like I was truly making something, as opposed to throwing stuff together haphazardly and hoping it comes out alright. There were steps, a tried and true formula, tools, and the certainty that at the end I would have something great to share with others. And share I did. It was a big casserole.

I wanted to write about something Halloween-y on the blog today and this macaroni seemed to be a good topic. It contains squash, which is a relative of the pumpkin --- arguably, the most venerated symbol of all Halloween iconography. So there.

Eat the macaroni while listening to something scary like Alexisonfire or Underoath.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

1 comment:

  1. This post is great! It looks so delicious! Great job! Maybe one day I'll make it or maybe something else by RR??? Another 3o minute vegetarian meal that may take over an hour? I'm up for an adventure. :D

    ReplyDelete

*copyright

don't steal words! don't steal images! if you want to borrow something, ask.