Friday, October 16, 2009

images of dumpsters

Here are two photographs I took in early 2009. These were some of my first few shots with my camera and, naturally, I took pictures in Brooklyn.

World Class Demolition

Rare Form

I like words and sometimes it is funny to see what sorts of phrases and words you can find printed on objects, stores, buildings, etc. Both of these images are of dumpsters - places where we keep our trash.

Trash defines New York as much as skyscrapers and bright lights do. This city is a place worth loving for what an old writing professor called its "beautiful ugliness."

I apologize for the lapse in blogging. I've been writing fiction again, which is very exciting. I have also begun two new jobs - one as an educator and another as a teaching artist. I am doing some freelance writing for WireTap magazine as well, which is very exciting. I have written four pieces for them. The articles are mostly about local organizing fights and victories in NYC. I would like to shift to writing about the arts more --- we'll see. Please do check the pieces out.

In other news, I saw the film Bright Star the other day. It was a very beautiful treatise on longing and the power of poetry to connect people. The film is in part about the Romantic poet, John Keats. I love Keats and even wrote a story named after one of his poems, "This Living Hand."

Enjoy the photographs.

'Tis all. Over and out.

2 comments:

  1. These photographs really do capture the ugly beauty of New York City. Gorgeous. Well-taken. I like that Rare Form became REFORM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, you're making me hungry! Actually can I steal these for some posters? I want pictures of trash everywhere. I never went to Disney World, but a good dumpster does it for me! Urban amusement park.

    A cop stopped me in a dumpster the other night, asked what I was doing, and when I showed him the planner I'd found & explained I was looking for an accordian folder because they cost a lot of money, he put his hand on his hip & said, "Well that's about the weirdest thing I ever heard!" It was the closest I'd ever seen a cop to being cute.

    ReplyDelete

*copyright

don't steal words! don't steal images! if you want to borrow something, ask.